Hello my dearest blog followers/readers! As I was completely overwhelmed by the response on my last post I figured it was about time for another heartfelt somewhat depressing post!
January 10th. January 10th 1928. The day Marion Elizabeth Morton was born. For those of you who do not know who Marion is, she is my fathers mother. Marion had four brothers and one sister; went to war for our country and eventually married Fred Deeg. Fred and Marion had four wonderful children together. Susan, Larry, Dave and Roger. Fred passed away when the kids were young and Marion was now a widowed mother. A few years later Marion met Charlie Hall and they got married and had a daughter Cheryl. Growing up on the farm was Marion's life and she loved it!
As Charlie and Marion raised the kids they eventually all began to start their own families. That's where I come into the picture! Little ol' me born May 6th of 1992 to make everyones lives soooo much better! Just kidding. That was a little boastful; my apologies. Anywho! Back to my story here. When I was a kid I remember going over to grams and gramps to pick raspberries, make jam, listen to grandpa play the banjo or the harmonica, or even help grams roll her cigarettes; and let me tell you this was one of my favourite tasks! Now your probably thinking "what did those rednecks do out on the farm?!" and let me tell you were were the most normal family around; as far as we knew! So when gramps passed away when I was in grade three my world was shattered. I remember not going to school and when anyone asked me about it, I would breakdown into tears.
Growing up, going over to grams house was literally one of my favourite things to do. Christmas mornings were my absolute favourite thing in the history of the world. We'd wake up at home, open our gifts with mom and dad then dad would go feed the cows at Uncle Dave's and we would get ready to go to grams for Christmas morning breakfast. All of us. All 19 of us. It was glorious, loud and full of laughter. Indian leg wrestles, riding the stationary bike while eating cookies and drinking coffee, snowball fights, you get the picture. Just imagine a whole lot of crazy in one house and you will get our Christmas morning, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.
Needless to say I eventually grew up and started to have a life of my own, I started to drive, I started to go to parties or the bar once I was 18 and started to drift away. One of my biggest regrets. My biggest regret in life is not spending more time with grams as an adult. I kick myself in the ass everyday for it. I was your typical selfish teenager who only wanted to spend time my with people who I now don't even talk to. So when grams was diagnosed with breast cancer my "Daelyn bubble" popped and I was broken. I was scared for her and I didn't know what to expect, so when she decided to get a mastectomy I was in complete awe of this woman. I was young and thought it was sweet the grams had a bra with a fake boob in it. IT FELT REAL!!! (Just incase you were wondering haha) Anywho grams kicked breast cancers ass and was doing great!
And then BAM there it was again. Cancer. This time it wasn't breast cancer, this time it was lung cancer. This time I knew something was different. I was different. I needed to be there for her, so when she started her radiation I tried to be there with her as much as I could. Let me tell you, seeing her like this was actually the hardest thing I've ever experienced. She was put into hospice at the hospital and we went and saw her all the time. I even took her DQ milkshakes and sundaes to cheer her up. When it was time to say goodbye I was not ready, but who is ever truly ready to say goodbye to someone you love more than life? I couldn't work. I wouldn't eat. I went into a pretty dark depressed state. Grams passed away May 15th 2012 and my life has yet to be the same. I have never missed anyone so much in my entire life. There were days I just held the blanket she made me and cried, but with the help of my family and the few great friends that I have and the amazing Corinna that I saw on July 15th 2013 I knew she was okay and I knew she was with me and still loved me.
As last Friday passed, I sat on my lunch break and silently wished Grams a Happy 86th Birthday. I miss her everyday and will never forget the cherished memories I have of my Angel above.
Don't take your time with your family for granted, you never know when something could jump out of the wood works and shatter your world. Cherish the small moments. Document them. Take pictures. Make videos. Indulge in each others presence. Most of all, tell the people you love that you love them.
No comments:
Post a Comment